Thursday, November 21, 2013

What I Really Want For My Birthday



Today is my birthday. (Yea!!)

About a week ago, The Angry Midget asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I told her a card and a Kit-Kat would be fine. I didn't really need anything.

Apparently her dad didn't think that was the real answer because he asked me the same question a few days later.

R: So I need to get something for a girlfriend who has a birthday coming up. She's in her mid thirties. What should I get for her?
Me: Well, what does she like?
R: Um, Facebook and I think magic tricks.
Me: Huh. Magic tricks? Really? 
Then there was some discussion of dirty magic tricks he could try. I'll spare you the details.
 Me: Seriously, a card and a Kit-Kat would be fine. I don't really need anything.

Once upon a time I used to want all kinds of stuff for my birthday.  A bike, a Walkman, long dangly earrings, the latest NKOTB tape, purple headphones for my Walkman, Barbies, MLPs... I always had a list at the ready. Now... now I'm old. And practical.
Caspian Interchangeable
Photo Credit: www.knitpicks.com

Sure, there are a few things I'd love to have Knit Picks Harmony Needles and/or Caspian Needles are pretty close to the top of the list.

    
Harmony Interchangeable
Photo Credit: www.woolbin.com

But, there are bills to pay, and I already have a perfectly functional set of needles. These are clearly a want, not a need.

Then, as I was passing by The Angry Midget's Lair, I was struck by inspiration. I knew what I wanted for my birthday.

The request didn't go over very well.
Me: *in the car on the way home from school* I know what I want for my birthday.
TAM: What?!
Me: I want you and your dad to clean your room. Get rid of toys clothes and books that you have outgrown or don't want, and put your clothes in your dresser in an organized fashion.
TAM: Card and a Kit-Kat it is!

*Sigh* Maybe I'll have better luck with R...

Me: I know what I want for my birthday.
R: Too bad. I already got you your present. And your Christmas present too.
Me: Well, you can return it. This won't cost any money. I want you and TAM to clean her room.
R: Oh Man. No way. It's your turn I just cleaned her room last year.
Me: Um, yeah. I just cleaned her room a few weeks ago. It's your turn.
I'll let you know if I get what I asked for.

This is her room in it's current state.
There is still more mess behind me, but it was just too much for the panoramic photo app to handle.

1 comment:

I love feedback from my readers. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!!